Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Week 22 and 1 day!!! It's going by lightening fast!!!

Quick update on the mommy:
I saw a cardiologist last Friday (3/26) and had an EKG done to check my heart. Then I had an Echocardiogram done yesterday (3/30). The appts. were to check my heart to make sure I'm really not considered a higher risk pregnancy. We believe I am not!!! Then I saw a Perinatal Specialist this morning (3/31). The reason for today's appt. is to rule out any problems with our babies' development because of my past health history. The ultrasound this morning was AMAZING - I was able to see the baby in higher-resolution: I saw the mouth open - the tongue slip out and move from side to side, clearly see the belly, front of the face, the profile, the legs, arms, hands and feet!!! The eyes opening and closing and the little acrobatic movements!!! The tech took measurements of everything - the head, brain, kidneys, spine, legs, arms, stomach, etc.! I cannot express what a miracle all of this is! Absolutely unbelievable to see our sweetie inside!!!

Please pray along with us that I do not need to be monitored more closely during labor/delivery but that we will be able to deliver completely naturally!

Special Note I learned this morning:
I am 22 weeks and 1 day and the baby is measuring 23 weeks and 6 days!!! This means bambino is longer than expected for how far along I am!!!!

Quick update on our bambino's progress: (note just b/c this refers to "her" doesn't mean anything!)
http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/calendar/22-weeks-pregnant.html

Your Mini's hands have grown bigger and stronger and the nerve endings in her fingers have developed her sense of touch. She's in there testing out her newfound abilities by touching her face and grabbing the umbilical cord.

Other cool developments:

You're already raising a little Einstein. Your baby's brain is developing at a clip this week and will continue to do so until she's five years old (so load up on the Omega 3)!

Baby's hair is now a short, bright white crop (Billy Idol, eat your heart out!). No matter what color it will end up—red, blonde, black—all babies' hair lacks pigment at this point.

Your baby has started growing taste buds and may be able to detect strong flavors in the amniotic fluid. If you could see inside, you might catch her sticking out her tongue for a taste and then grimacing, a sign that perhaps you should chill on the chili powder.

Your baby now weighs almost a pound and measures almost 11 inches from her head to her heel, which is how the Stretch Armstrong in your uterus will be measured from here on out. Up 'til now your baby's legs were curled tight up against her torso, so she was measured from her head to her bottom (or crown to rump) and not head to toe. This week your mini is about as long as a package of Oreos and as heavy as a large bag of tortilla chips. Who's hungry?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm ... if one can see the baby in 'high resolution' than on can tell a bambino from a bambina, perhaps?

    Uncle Joe

    ReplyDelete